Washington Community Church
Meeting Minutes 1879 - 1937
By Robert D. and Cheryl J. Allen
Published by Robert D. and Cheryl J. Allen
The Washington Union Church Society was established at a meeting on July 5, 1879. Property for the church was donated by the Truman Andrus Family, an early pioneer family in Washington Township, and the building was completed on February 1, 1880. In 1923, an official meeting was held, and it was voted that the church name be changed to the Washington Community Church. The Washington Community Church continued to serve the community until they were forced to permanently close their doors in 1937 due to declining membership and financial issues.
This book includes a transcription of the meeting minutes of the Washington Union Church Society along with a History of the Church presented by Mrs. Charles Andrus at the rededication ceremony on December 14, 1924, and other related documentation pertaining to the church. It shows how the church prospered during good times and the struggles the members dealt with prior to making the decision to close. The building still stands today and has had many uses since the church closed its doors in 1937.